Sunday, August 10, 2008

2008 Beijing Olympic Thoughts


Today at Church, Bishop Becker reminded us to write down important moments in our lives that we will be able to share with our posterity in the future. Since we have kind of gotten away from writing in our journal, hopefully, keeping this blog will help in some way - at least we can share our feelings and thoughts with our friends.

I've really been looking forward to these Olympic games and can't believe that after so many years - that it's actually here. Growing up, my dream was to one day participate in the Olympics and I always thought Beijing would kind of be cool - a homecoming of sorts.

Watching the opening ceremonies and the incredible display of artistry and shear pageantry was truly impressive and awe-inspiring. I must admit that although 1) I'm Canadian 2) I have lived in the US for quite a few years, and 3) the closest I've gotten to China was serving a mission in Taiwan; I surely felt a sense of National pride - not Canadian, not American, but Chinese national pride. It is a feeling truly difficult to explain. This was the land of my ancestry and they were putting on a glorious show for the entire world to behold - and I felt proud to be associated with it - even if it was only by ancestry or heritage. I truly feel that Chinese descendants everywhere surely felt some of the same stirrings of pride in their Chinese heritage as I did.

I typically don't cheer for the Chinese, but this time I did. I'm also rooting hard for the Canadians and my friends who are on the US Olympic team. I also feel a certain sense of loss with American's with the loss of an Olympic parent (the individual who was killed was the father-in-law of Hugh McCutcheon - the current US men's volleyball head coach, and the assistant coach with BYU men's volleyball team while I was the student trainer with the team back in 1999). Some may call it loyalty. Maybe I'm just being a fan of sport. Regardless, these Olympics have already touched me and will hold a special memory and place in my heart.

Maybe in another sense, it's just another chance for my ancestors to call out to me reminding me that there is lots of work to be done for them - so many thousands and millions - even a billion - who lack the knowledge of God and his gospel. I do feel a kinship to the people of China - and to the country as a whole. Part of me longs to "return" to a land that I have never been. Like a Taiwanese Olympian said, going back to China and being "(received and welcomed there) was like coming home."

I hope you all enjoy the spectacle of the games and brush up on your Chinese because they will need all the missionaries they can get - there's a large field that will soon be ripe and needs harvesting...

9 comments:

Liz said...

Weren't the opening Olympics awesome!!!The Chinese culture is so beautiful.
So who are you rooting for againthe Canadian, Americans or Chinese :)

Cami D. said...

I LIKE YOU!!! Can you just go ahead and cheer for everyone? Ha ha! :)

Ok so it was so great to see you guys @ the hall Way Sunday school lesson at DeWy's on Saturday! :) We should see you more!

Anonymous said...

You wanna hear something funny? I found your blog via a family member of my cousin??!! So I don't know who we know mutually but I thought I would say hello and also invite you to our blog...send me your e-mail address and I will invite it to our blog! Would love to keep up to date with you...

Kristen said...

We are glued to the Olympics (is that supposed to be capitalized?) The opening ceremonies were AWESOME! The whole family is into all of the sports so far; Even the table tennis I caught the kids watching on MSNBC! We are so "in to it" we decided to become participants! We haven't won any medals .... yet! But if you visit our blog, you can see our routine! Kevin has been workin' hard on his moves! And I've gotten into pretty good shape to be able to compete at the level we're at! haha! What's your Bishop's first name? I grew up in the same ward as the Beckert Boys! 3 of them were my sunday school teachers at some point or another! Have fun cheering on China...I mean Canada, oh the USA for the rest of the Olympics! :) That would have been really cool if you guys could've managed a trip there somehow!

Jasmine said...

Great post. I will admit that behind the Canadians, I too am rooting for the Chinese. (Sorry, no real ties to the Americans...although they are kickin' some serious trash!) See you in 33 days!

Tricia said...

Hi Molly! I just noticed your blog on someone else's. I am new to blogging. I'd love to keep in touch! Mine is:
thedanafam.blogspot.com

How's the house going? Did you move yet?
Tricia

Megan said...

Hey Rylan,

Cool blog, like it. It's neat to catch up with you. Hope all is well.
Brent

Katrina said...

I love your blog & can't believe how big your girls have gotten! They are so beautiful! We miss you guys!

Jenn Absher said...

Rylan! I hope you are doing well. No new posts in a while. I love catching up with you on your blog. Your daughters are beautiful! Have a great day and blog again soon.